Powered By Blogger

Monday, October 24, 2011

Thanksgiving? Christmas? Seriously?

I usually start my Christmas shopping in September.  Did not do it this year.  So. Did. Not.  Now it's November and I only have a few weeks to get it together!!  I started my Christmas 2011 list last week.  I always list everyone that I will be buying a gift for.  As I purchase the gifts, I add it under their name and I know I'm done with that person.  Last week I was able to get 3 gifts purchased for 3 of my nieces and a gift for Hannah.  I still have many more to go.  Hannah will be my nightmare this year.  She's already asked for a computer.  Ummmm...no.  Walmart has started back their layaway program and tomorrow night I will go and put the grandchildren's gifts on layaway.  That will give me a good 6-8 payment plan for those gifts.  In my budget, I'm trying to set aside $50 per week to knock off some gifts and the rest will have to come from a money tree, that I've yet to find!  It will be a constant worry until I get this done! Oh sleepless nights....sighs.   The stress of Christmas!!!  Have you started your Christmas shopping yet??



Before Christmas...well there is Thanksgiving.  Duh. I always have the Thanksgiving dinner with the family here.  That's another thing I have to start planning ahead for.  I usually break down my shopping each week before Thanksgiving and add the Thanksgiving menu to my shopping list.  First, I have to put together my menu.  I'll be taking care of that this afternoon.  Then I'll divide out my shopping list over the next few weeks.  Those meals can hit hard on the budget ya know!!  I'm hoping my mom will relax this year and let me plan and cook this meal.  She always starts off that she will...but never does.  I'm hoping to get a jump start on her this year and tell her it's already taken care of!  Boy oh boy, do I miss the days that my Granny would tell me to just bring the rolls!  Those were the days!  If you are now that person....EMBRACE IT!

Yummy!  doesn't that look amazing!  We never actually "stuff" the turkey here.  We have cornbread dressing down here in the South and we only stuff our faces with that!  But...this does look beautiful.  I'm noticing those carrots...and I've never prepared glazed carrots for anything, but I think this year I will.

After Thanksgiving....I have Christmas dinner to begin sorting out.  We either have a standing rib roast or cornish hens.  I've allowed the kids to chose their menu for Christmas lately...and they all continue to chose the cornish hens.  We'll see what they choose this year.

They are so yummy.  I have a great recipe that includes an orange marmalade sauce....I can't wait to share that with you next month!  These two main courses are the easiest things to prepare.  I usually do it the night before and Christmas morning I can relax and enjoy the family opening up gifts.   I like not having to stand in the kitchen all Christmas morning. 

Can you tell I have lots of things on my mind today?!  Christmas...Thanksgiving...gifts....food....OH MY!

Now...get your lists out...come join me in the holiday craziness!  I'm so gonna be a shopping cart crazy lady tomorrow night at Walmart.  If ya can't beat 'em, join 'em...right?!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I am with you. I do have a couple of gifts, but that's it. I need to get my act in gear. I am now the one that brings all the deserts. A bunch of pies. I still cook a turkey and all the rest just for us, because it just makes it seem like thanksgiving and I love the leftovers. Hope it all goe swell for you. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were thinking the same thing. I went out today with Christmas shopping on my mind, but I didn't find anything. I don't have to do a lot because our family is small. We don't exchange gifts except with our immediate family. I'm also trying to plan Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post...yes those days of bringing the rolls were WONDERFUL, but that's all over for me too!!!! Have fun shopping for the grands and yes I have started my shopping, but just a few things so far.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete