Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Little Gourd That Could

be beautiful, that is!!  I have never, ever had a gourd.  Never.  Not because I didn't like them, I just simply never had one.  So...as I was cruising down the aisles of Goodwill (who knew?), what did I see?  A gourd.  Ugly.  They are ugly right?  Yes they are.  BUT...interesting.  $.99 Goodwill price...cha-ching...bought it.  So...this gourd thingy has been sitting around the house for a couple of weeks and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what in the world to do with it.  UNTIL...I saw this awesome post (somewhere, out there) in blog land that showed how to spruce this thing up.  It was so easy, I didn't even have to read it twice...okay, I read it twice but not three times.  No lie!

My gourd got a makeover.  I polished her up with some stain.  Let it dry for 8 hours.  I purchased some shiny spray paint sealer stuff and wah lah my gourd was beautiful!

Have a peek!
Ain't she purdy?  Now that she was all shiny...she had to go "somewhere" in the house.  So...with my mind spinning around in my head an idea came to mind.  I would take one of my clay pots and wash it.  I'll have to admit that I was tempted to spray paint it white, but I didn't.  *winks*  I knew I had some raffia ribbon tucked away just begging to be used...pot, ribbon....what else?  I needed something to sort of accent the gourd itself, you know?  So....I snatched some leaves from one of my fall arrangements and look what happened to my ugly gourd!

Here's some up close pics....



I wonder if there is like a 12 step program for Fall Decorating??  I should really check into that!  I've changed my Fall place setting on the formal dining room table again...I know, I seriously need help.  Next post!!

Found my inspiration for this blog!  Thanks Grammy! http://www.onsuttonplace.com/2011/10/gourds-who-knew.html

Linking to these parties!
http://www.handymancraftywoman.com/

http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/2011/10/wow-us-wednesdays-36.html

http://twenty-eight-0-five.blogspot.com/2011/10/potpourri-party-8.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+2805+%282805%29

Delightful Order
Mommy by Day, Crafter by Night

Domestically Speaking

4 comments:

  1. Your gourd looks great and I can't believe you found it at Goodwill - although I should, since I'm always saying you can find anything there. I think a gourd is pushing the limit. I think the post you saw was from Ann - On Sutton Place. I remember because I read hers, then Paula's at Sweet Pea who decorated with gourds she'd had forever. I think you did a good job with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job. Love the extra touch with the leaves and raffia. This will take you until it's time to decorate for Christmas. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! If there is a 12 step program sign me up. Cute cute cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The amazing gourd! There are so many ways to dress and pumpkin and a gourd! It's so much fun and an easy and creative thing to do! I adore your goard.

    Thanks for linking this lovely post to Potpourri Friday. I appreciate your participation, my friend!

    ReplyDelete