Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Baked Tilapia Anyone?

I had several fillets of tilapia that needed to be cooked.  I cook 3 meals a day, most days.  Hub comes home everyday for lunch, some days I'm creative...other days we either eat leftovers or have a sandwich.  Yesterday I was in a creative mood.  I always seem to make tilapia here the same way.  Coat it in Italian Bread Crumbs and grill it with olive oil.  Easy.  Tasty.  A no thinker.  Today I searched the internet to find something a bit different for lunch.  I found it at Allrecipes.com.  I had everything I needed to make this recipe at home, so I was going to give it a try.  There was one thing I wasn't certain about...the recipe included a can of tomato paste.  I wasn't sure if I cared for tomato paste on my fish, ya know?

Here it is plated up...
Does this look yummy or what?  Asparagus on the side was an added bonus.  I swear...my hub is so spoiled!  Who gets this at lunch?! 

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 4 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
  • 4 tablespoons butter

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat bottom of a medium baking dish with about 1/4 cup olive oil.
  2. In a small bowl, blend remaining olive oil, tomato paste, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper.
  3. Arrange tilapia fillets in the prepared baking dish, skin side up. With a spatula, spread the olive oil and tomato paste mixture over the tilapia, heaping the majority in the centers of the fillets. Arrange onion and green pepper slices on and around the fillets.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven 15 minutes, until fish is easily flaked with a fork. Remove from heat, top each fillet with 1 tablespoon butter, and set oven to broil. Broil 5 to 7 minutes, until butter is melted and lightly brown

Here's the link to the recipe in case you would like to print it off.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/baked-tilapia/detail.aspx

This was so flavorful.  The onions and peppers just exploded in your mouth.  The tomato sauce mixed with the spices was just wonderful.  If you're tired of the same old baked fish, try this recipe!

The asparagus was cooked on top of the stove.  A little olive oil, salt & pepper to taste, fresh lemon juice and lemon zest.  I like my asparagus a little crunchy and it was just perfect as a side dish.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment